[haiku-development] Re: ARM-Port and GSoC

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:12:58 +0200 CEST

> I want to use the u-boot bootloader already present on the
> beagleboard. Since u-boot provides a serial console it could be used
> at least during boot time. It can also do elementary cpu
> initialization (enabling cache configure RAM etc..) so it should not
> be to complicated to get "something" to boot if I create a
> ./src/system/boot/platform/u-boot_arm platform or something like that
> and use the interfaces provided by u-boot there.

I wanted to use the upcoming API developped for NetBSD support to use
it as a BIOS, that is to be able to call it from zbeos, as the normal
way is to just hand over control and let the loader take over, but we
need some more support from the firmware.
U-Boot already supports "standalone" binaries that can use its API and
return to it, but it requires restricting register usage for ex, so I'm
not sure how far into zbeos it could still be used.

> For the kernel it gets a bit more complicated but the most important
> files to be ported would be in src/system/kernel/arch if I understand
> the code correctly. I will have to learn a lot about ARM
> assembler/internals since the only embedded processors I really
> worked
> with until now were SH2A and msp430 ;).  Since I would concentrate on
> the serial device as only device (and most probably at least sd card

Someone started on an SD driver, not sure how far it is yet.
Another option is to boot from the network.

> or something to load the os...) driver development should not be so
> complicated since there are already open source drivers for them and
> both serial ports and sd cards are not really complicated devices.

Yep.

François.