[haiku-development] Re: ARM-Port and GSoC

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:07:36 +0200 CEST

> Hi List,
> As some of you might have seen on irc I am currently reviving the
> ARM-Port of Haiku. I already got the toolchain to compile (but I
> don't

Not so much revive as it never really started, just a few gcc diffs.

> know if it produces usefull code yet ;) ).  Sine I have quite some
> free time this summer I thought I could continue this porting effort
> as a GSoC project offcourse this will be a giant task so the project
> goals should be choosen so that they are achievable.

I believe most devs will not favor such a project. The current goal
being x86 desktop systems, with R1/alpha due RSN, so GSoC subjects
helping this goal will likely get more votes.
Still, you are welcome on board, several of us consider ARM-based
devices to actually qualify as desktop, just "mobile desktop" and have
the port on our todo list. We just don't have time yet.

> By now I am targeting the beagleboard platform since it is a
> relatively cheap and well suported platform. I hope to at least get
> the kernel to boot and a serial port driver.

I have already made a proposal at
http://projects.powerdeveloper.org/project/imx515/751
to get some support, though QEMU should be enough for a basic port.

> What do you think of this idea? To much/not enough for GSoC ?

As I said, I don't think it would be picked up, but you can always
submit it anyway.

François.