[haiku-development] Re: 3 months task for 4 students

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 11:13:22 -0700

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Marcin <haiku.developer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi

Hi there!

I'm not one of the developers, so I may be speaking out of turn, but I
can maybe provide some guidance on the tasks you listed below.

> I represent a group of 4 student who would like to engage to Haiku Project
> for next 3 months.
> We are looking for tasks like:
> - Partition manager

Haiku does have a partition management tool called "DriveSetup". It
was recently updated by one of our GSoC students, but is still missing
some features. Features still missing, AFAIK, are GPT support and
resizing and moving partitions. I'm sure there are other features
missing that other partitioning tools have, but these are the major
ones I know of.

> - Thread scheduler

Haiku's scheduler is still a bit "primitive" from what I gather. There
was some effort recently to update it with some basic affinity logic
to manage CPU hogging threads, but I think it could stand for major
improvement.

> - Wifi, Firewire stack implementation

Haiku does have a firewire stack ported from *BSD by one of the GSoC
students a couple years ago. I'm not sure what the state of it is, but
it may need to be updated before it's fully usable.

Wifi is something that is being actively worked on by an individual
here: http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/haiku-wifi - his progress has
been very good so far, and I can use unsecured wireless on my Acer
Aspire One using his stack/drivers. There is rumors that this will be
integrated into Haiku soon and possibly worked on by a larger group of
the Haiku developers. Perhaps your team can coordinate with this
project :)

> - ICMP

I have no clue what the state of this is. I think ICMP error handling
is still missing from the stack?

> We prefer "bigger" task for this time. We are going to work as a team.
> I am waiting for feedback from our future product owner:)

There are definitely some "big" tasks outstanding - for example
Haiku's ACPI support is still somewhat immature, as is
resource/interrupt handling, etc.

I think some of the more knowledgeable developers can probably expand
on these areas.

> Please be tolerant. We are newbie on this list.

Welcome :)

- Urias