[haiku-depot-web] Re: Progress

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 14:07:22 +0200

On 10/08/2013 08:30 PM, Andrew Lindesay wrote:
* "Vendor" already has a meaning in the PM context. It is, for want of a
better description, the owner of a repository. Each package in a
repository is tagged with the same vendor string. It is used by the
dependency solver as a criterion to achieve a better cohesiveness of the
installed packages.

Thank you for that clarification.  Maybe the term "publisher" would be
more correct for what I am intending?  I can't see that in the
attributes list though?  If you add this, perhaps a 'machine-readable
code' would be a good way to go; "nz.co.foo.somecompany" so there is not
ambiguity or difficulty around mapping to databases?

I'm not quite sure where the publisher fits in the process. We already have the author(s) in the copyright attributes, the person who created the package as the packager, and the repository owner as the vendor. What does the publisher do exactly?

CU, Ingo