[haiku-appserver] Re: getting a clone of the current Accelerant

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:02:21 +0100 CET

Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't know if it's worth the effort, when the app_server test
> > environment already features most of this. Besides, what exactly do
> > you
> > want to test with this?
> That's exactly the point, the app_server test environment _doesn't_
> feature
> this. And one important difference is that Painter doesn't write to
> the
> graphics frame buffer like it does under Haiku. There is a noticable
> performance difference which I would like to investigate sometimes in
> the
> future. Second problem: I cannot test if my threading model works
> out,
> because after all, each WindowLayer thread is blocking on the BWindow
> lock
> of the test environment when trying to draw. Third problem: I cannot
> tell
> how much the app_server communication drains on the overall
> performance, so
> it is hard to compare my results with R5. When moving or resizing
> windows
> in the simulation, it looks like it's definitely eating more CPU than
> native window movement under R5 (which involves much heaview redraws
> actually).

Ah, so what about changing the app_server test environment to use the
same tactics you wanted to implement for your clipping test app?
This would benefit the whole app_server testing.

> For now, maybe you're right though, and I'd better finish with this
> and
> start integrating with the real app_server. Before I do this, I
> wanted to
> simulate animations from the client side and scrolling. It should be
> complete otherwise. Before I integrate, maybe we can have a look into
> the
> code together?

Sure, I guess that's best done over IRC. When do you have the time to
do this?
I don't know if I find enough time today - I have some right now, but I
don't know long that will last... (having to eat and all :-))
In any case, I could hang out in #haiku if I find the time.

Bye,
   Axel.