[haiku-appserver] Re: getting a clone of the current Accelerant

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:08:34 +0100

On 2005-12-06 at 10:09:38 [+0100], Stefano Ceccherini <burton666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >I'm happy that we have the code in
> >BWindowScreen for reference, but I have not looked into >it yet.
>

> Note that it's a bit messy, I never found the chance to clean it up, and it
> involves using a private R5 class (_BAppServerLink_) to get the name of the
> accelerant and the driver used by the app server.

I found it to be readable! The code to get the accelerant path from the
driver is nicely contained in AccelerantHWInterface (probably initiating from
test_harness). I tried to combine the cloning in BWindowScreen and
AccelerantHWInterface, but didn't get it to work. With enough error checking
I can prevent the system from crashing. But I'm uncertain about the code in
BWindowScreen. It passes the path to the accelerant to the clone function. I
would have guessed from the other functions (get_clone_info_size and
get_clone_info), that you first ask the accelerant for the clone info size,
then create a buffer of that size, pass that to get_clone_info, and than pass
that data without knowing what it contains to the clone function. I tried
that too, but didn't get very far. I have to admit though that I'm using a
very old version of the ATI driver, because of some particularities with my
laptop (with that driver, I can just plugin a monitor and have the desktop
cloned with no worries). Maybe this version doesn't support cloning so well.
I will try with a current version and keep you posted.

I intend to keep at it, and further experiment with the "simple" app_server
represented by my clipping prototype. I will try to make the thing work with
transparent overlays (not video overlays...), to finally support drag
messages too. Maybe we ought to support the actual messages in the real
app_server sooner than that though.

Best regards,
-Stephan