[hackpgh-discuss] Re: universal construction kit

  • From: Matthew Beckler <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:33:29 -0400

And we all know how awesome megablocks are... :- )

I heard somewhere that real LEGO have +/- 10 micron in their fabrication, but I don't have a source on that, and that current extruded plastic printers have about 4x that in terms of resolution and (even more importantly) thickness of a single extruded layer.

Surely we are definitely < 5 years from hobbyist-level sub-10 micron accurate printers!

-Matthew

On 03/21/2012 04:29 PM, Elijah Richter wrote:
Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical of the Lego component, my guess is at best you
could print Mega blocks...

-Eli

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Zachery Shivers
<zachery.shivers@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:zachery.shivers@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Plus, is your makerbot accurate to the micron? :- )

    Do Lego's really require micron resolution to snap together?!