[hackpgh-discuss] Re: universal construction kit

I'm pretty sure all sorts of game pieces are already on thingiverse, with varying levels of accuracy and quality. Plus, is your makerbot accurate to the micron? :- )

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15576
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8842
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14769

What I really want to print once my Prusa is finished, are these SimCity buildings! http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12673

-Matthew

On 03/21/2012 03:22 PM, Jeremy Herrman wrote:
Their discussion on the legal issues is pretty interesting. I've been
wanting to recreate 3D models of board game pieces for a while now,
and from their work it looks like it's legal so long as the patents
are expired (over 20 years). Given that Monopoly (along with the game
pieces) was patented back in 1935, it looks like that might be a good
first candidate.

Now does anyone know where I can find an optical comparator to make
sure the models are faithful to the original down to a few microns?

-Jeremy

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Derrick Brashear<shadow@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
for those of you with operational makerbots (alas, not me, yet) who want
to use different building toys together,
http://fffff.at/free-universal-construction-kit/

a tinkertoy-lego-lincoln log mashup, which this makes possible, would
be quite awesome.

--
Derrick