[greenbuild] Re: celotex

  • From: "joel gagnon" <joelpgagnon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:29:08 -0400

Jon's comments have been excellent (which is to say I agree with him). While
I agree that the vapor barrier is safest on the inside, I would note that
oriented strand board and plywood are themselves excellent vapor barriers.
Unless indoor humidity is managed and air movement into the walls prevented,
the potential for condensation in the walls is great. The only place I have
seen problems in walls was  where air movement brought moisture into the
cavity.

There is one other good reason not to use celotex on the outside, however. I
have read of problems putting wood siding over foam board unless an air
space is created behind the siding (a "rainscreen"). Otherwise, if the wood
gets wet due to wind-driven rain, ice dams, or condensation from moisture in
the house getting behind the siding at the joints in the foam boards, it has
no way to get out. It will, at minimum, drive the paint off the siding. At
worse, it can rot the siding. So either use a rainscreen (spacers or one of
the new matt-like  products) or put the foam on the inside. Incidentally,
felt would probably be better under the siding than Tyvec. It has a history
of performing adequately in this application. The most robust installation
of your siding would put the rainscreen under the siding and backprime the
siding to increase its moisture resistance.

In an interesting historical note, my house has the siding applied directly
to the studs, with no sheathing at all. It holds paint really well, even
after filling the stud cavities with insulation. It also holds paint well if
Tyvec is placed under the siding, as I did on one section, and if a
permeable sheathing is placed under the siding. I attribute that to the
triangular air spaces behind the lap siding. Perhaps the rainscreen can be
omitted if lap siding is used instead of bevel siding. If you can't get wood
lap siding, I would consider fiber cement lap siding. I details just like
wood and holds paint well.

Joel Gagnon

Joel Gagnon
From: "Jon Harrod" <insul8er@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [greenbuild] Re: celotex
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:02:49 -0400

Hi Genevieve,

A couple thoughts on your inquiry--

The first is that, as far as I know, polyisocyanurate ("Celotex") and
extruded polystyrene ("Styrofoam" or "blueboard") are still being
manufactured with HFCs, which damage the ozone layer and contribute to
global warming.  Which is not to say that these products should never be
used, but just that they should be used judiciously, where they can provide
benefits that outweigh their negative impacts.  There are a couple questions
I would ask in making this assessment.

--How much insulation do you have in the wall cavities?
--What type?
--How much potential is there to increase the cavity insulation with less
damaging products (i.e. cellulose)?
--How leaky is your house?  Would air leakage around the foam and into the
wall cavities reduce the effectiveness of the foam insulation?

With answers to these questions, an energy auditor can work with you to look
at the energy costs and benefits of adding the foam versus other options.

The second issue relates to potential moisture problems.  Celotex is
completely impermeable to air and moisture (i.e. it is a great air/vapor
barrier).  In cold climates, you want the air/vapor barrier on the interior
side of the wall cavity.  By placing an impermeable barrier to the outside,
you create the potential for condensation, which would lead to mold on the
osb.  Whether this condensation actually occurs depends on a number of
factors including the permeability and leakiness of the interior wall
covering, the type of insulation, the thickness of the foam board, and the
moisture level in the house.

On balance, my recommendation would be to steer away from exterior foam
unless it is part of a comprehensive plan to improve the building envelope
in a way that prevents future problems.

Good luck,
Jon Harrod
Performance Systems Contracting