[greenbuild] Re: celotex

  • From: "Jon Harrod" <insul8er@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:16:24 -0400

Any opinions about putting celotex under drywall?

>>I like this approach.  You can tape the seams with Tyvek tape to give a
continuous barrier.

...On the topic of vapor barriors, I've read that a high quality
primer paint can act as an adequate vapor barrior.. what do you think?

>>The main way interior moisture gets into walls and attics is by air
leakage, rather than diffusion through the sheetrock.  Good air sealing
(either with celotex, taped at the joints, and foamed or caulked around the
top and bottom plates, electrical boxes, etc.) or with an "airtight drywall"
approach (same thing, but using drywall, joint compound, and caulk) will
prevent most wall and attic moisture problems.

>>With good air sealing, a good quality primer or a double coat of latex
paint will make an additional vapor barrier unnecessary.