[gptalk] GPO : Prevent saving to Desktop

  • From: TAZAMAL HUSSAIN <tazamal_hussain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 03:51:34 +0000

Guys,

I have a user base, using roaming profiles. I have not redirected their Desktop
(only My Documents).... They tend to save big files onto their desktop
inevitably resulting in slow log in times.

An option is to redirect this, however I'd like to just stop them from being
able to save to the desktop. Is this possible via a GPO?

If I do end up redirecting the Desktop folder, how does this work, in terms
refreshing their desktop? I can understand redirecting My Documents etc etc,
maybe works the same way a mapped drive does everytime you access the folder,
it just links you the network share where its stored. But in terms of
redirecting the desktop does this mean the desktop wil constantly refresh and
will generate alot of network traffic, i cant seem to get my head around the
basics of this... The only way I can see this working is too send out an email
asking everyone to politely within a month move everything on the desktop to
their My Documents and then I'd somehow like to prevent them from saving to
their desktops...

Also, while i've already started asking so many questions, is there a way to
search these lists? for learning on previously asked questions before I joined?

Any help, as usual, much appreciated. Nice one

TazH
http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/mail.aspx