[gps-talkusers] Re: how does gps give you info?

  • From: Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:17:09 -0700

Tina,

Yes, the GPS will give you information based on relative heading. There are
three Heading Orientations: Left/Right, where direction is presented by
Ahead, Slight Right, Right, Behind Slight Right, Behind, Behind Slight Left,
Left and  Slight Left; Clock-Face, where direction is presented by 12, 1, 2,
3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 o'clock; Both Left/RIght and Clock-Face,
where direction is provided with Ahead, 1 and 2 o'clock, RIght, 4 and 5
o'clock, Behind, 7 and 8 o'clock, Left, 10 and 11 o'clock.

The important thing with the heading is to make sure that you are moving in
a constant direction or have moved in a constant direction before asking for
information. For example, it probably isn't a good idea to ask for things
after just turning or spinning in a few circles. If you were to be heading
down the street and you were going North and made a right by pivoting, the
GPS still thinks that you are facing North, it will be required that you
move in a constant direction for about 30 second before a reliable heading
can be given.

Thanks,

Kevin
I would encourage you to visit the Chaos World of Assistive Technology Blog
at:
http://www.chaosat.wordpress.com/
Postings are dealing with the latest and greatest happenings, tips and
tricks and other items of interest.