[gps-talkusers] Roundabouts

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:13:26 +0100

Hi All,

I'm new to Braillenote GPS and the list, so please forgive me if this has been covered before. I'm migrating from Trekker and Wayfinder, and in most respects, I'm finding Sendero GPS an absolute joy, with so much power and flexibility compared with the others. However, I'm having one problem, relating to navigation of roundabouts. I think in the US you call these traffic circles, but here in the UK they are everywhere, and it's rare to find a journey without many of them.

The way that Sendero GPS gives instructions seems confusing. For example, at a roundabout where you are actually turning right, it will tell you to turn left onto the roundabout, and then turn left to exit the roundabout. It is similar with clockface instructions. It will say to turn ten o'clock on the roundabout and then exit nine o'clock.

What we need is a global instruction that gives you the direction of the road you are taking relative to the road you were on. For example, Wayfinder would say "turn right at the roundabout onto X street", or "take the third exit onto X street" counting exits clockwise.

It sounds a llitle complicated when you try to explain it, but it is a real problem when navigating vehicle routes in particular. A wwork-around seems to be to use the compass directions, but this needs quite a lot of thought and ssometimes there isn't enough time or clarity.

Am I missing something, or could this be a suggested improvement?

Any thoughts welcome.

Best,

Peter

--