[gps-talkusers] New to list, contemplating GPs

  • From: "Sharon Ballantyne" <sballan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:13:27 -0400

        Hello all,

This has likely been covered many times over and I apologize. I have
been awaiting some promised upgrades on a competitor product produced in
Canada, the country I live in and have been on their list for some time.
From following that list, you get to know those whose insights most
impact.I had not yet purchased that product, having tried it in its
infancy about four years ago and discovering that no matter what we did
there wasn't sufficient satellite coverage. Another person locally
bought a system last year and is getting about eight satellites so I
know that is not an issue.

The long and the short of it is, there was concerns that the other
manufacturer was not going to keep up. I already see on this list
someone who has made a switch and is seeming happy.

I understand that this product is more expensive but I am getting the
drift much more reliable and remaining competitive. The only thing I
really know about the product is what I read when reading Michael Mae's
"Crashing Through" autobiography.

I am totally blind. I use a dog guide.I am a full time teacher and also
am an ordained clergy, serving  a church congregation part-time. Our two
children are at university in two different cities and my parents live
in two separate cities as well. I am also needing to visit different
university sites as I gather research for my PHD dissertation in
pastoral care. Locations I need to routinely travel to in my home
community: school I teach at, other local schools for meeting, the
church I serve and other local places of worship, area shopping and
business locations, hospitals and long term care facilities for pastoral
visits and varied  pastoral related locations like people's homes,
funeral homes etc. It is all pretty regular sorts of places in terms of
getting around a community. I would be using this system in southern
Ontario, Canada, in cities from about 50,000 population to about a city
of 200,000 people in Southern Ontario. I would want this system mostly
for pedestrian use but would also like it for motorized.

If there is someone who might contact me off-list, I would love to hear
more about the "selling features" of this unit in terms of its user
friendliness and reliability.

Any feedback pro or con or in contrast to the competition would be
really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sharon
E-mail: sballan@xxxxxxxxxxx