[gps-talkusers] Re: Post codes and zip codes

  • From: "Richard Myers" <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:18:18 +0900

Hello, Mike,
I was not baiting you.  I probably was confused and was thinking about the
price per state of maps for one of the GPS units that can be attached to
your product, and I was not confusing dollars and yen.  Map sets here are
much more expensive than 250 yen per prefecture.  Think about 10,000 yen!
You may be right in saying that single CD map sets are clearer and more
detailed than multi-CD sets.  However, my GPS mapset covers the entire US in
one CD, as I said before, and certainly seems to be clear and well-detailed
to me.  But, as I also said, that GPS mapset cannot give a location for a
house address.  It can find any place that you have the coordinates for and
give you the coordinates of wherever you are.  That is its purpose.  As I
said,  it would be a little clumsy using that Garmin mapset in trying to
find specific addresses.

Dick Myers

From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: Post codes and zip codes
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:59:12 -0800

Not sure if I am being bated or not. Individual state maps are not
available for the BrailleNote GPS at any price. Certainly not $250 per
state as you mention in your email. Maybe you were mixing up dollars and
yen.

Maps for the BrailleNote GPS only come as a bundle for the entire U.S. as
part of the complete package. As most of you know, the list price is $1399
including all of the U.S., software and GPS hardware. The individual states
cannot be purchased separately.

Be aware when purchasing map data that one CD of maps does not have as much
or as good of quality data as 8 CDs of data. There are various compression
schemes which reduce the space required for map data. However, maps
designed mostly for highways or those without street addresses obviously
take a lot less room. This can be fine for some applications. This
difference in data quality and quantity accounts for much of the difference
in price between commercial products that cost $250 and those that cost
$800 and up.

 >Hello, Liam,
 >Are you still here?  I hope so.  In Japan, where I live now, and in the
US,
 >where I have a second home, as far as I know, the post code does not
 >identify single dwellings.  Map Quest is a free service on the Internet
with
 >versatile expandable map sections of the US in great detail and a little
 >less detail in the rest of the world.  Map Quest will give you a post
code,
 >normally called "Zip plus 4".  If you enter Map Quest with the number
 >address and street and town or city, you get a pinpoint location of the
 >address with all adjoining streets and some points of interest, like parks
 >and post offices.
 >
 >So far, that does not help GPS very much because GPS uses earth
coordinates
 >(latitude and longitude) to define locations.  Garmin has a set of maps
 >covering the entire US on a single CD.  These maps also have street names,
 >towns, and the like, but they do not contain street address information
for
 >houses or buildings.  You could use Map Quest to get the physical location
 >of the address, then the lat-lon coordinates of the same point for your
GPS.
 >   Kind of clumsy, but it would work for trip planning.
 >
 >The reason I am describing this is the difference in price.  The only
price
 >is for the Garmin map set, and I think it is about $67, you will have to
 >check with Garmin on that.  That is for the entire US.  I have seen the
map
 >sets for the BN GPS for sale at the price of $250 per state.  That is
 >$12,500 for the entire US, including Alaska and Hawaii.  A little
difference
 >in price, one affordable, one not, at least on my budget.
 >
 >Now, what in the world is an "embuggerance"?  You gotta explain that.
 >
 >Dick Myers
 >

 >From: "liam" <liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 >To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 >Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: Post codes and zip codes
 >Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:04:40 -0000
 >
 >Richard,
 >
 >I understand that in the UK we might use post codes more than in the
 >states.  A post code in the UK will identify a house rather than just a
 >general area.  For us the use of a post code saves a lot of keyboard
 >work.  It's the norm to be able  to search on a post code for both PDA
 >based systems and car based systems.
 >
 >I don't understand your comment below about map quest.  I don't want to
 >look up a postal code I want to be able to jump to the address
 >associated with that code.
 >
 >I'm hoping that you are not suggesting that systems should be set up to
 >make the life of programmer's easier?
 >
 >I take Mike's point that it would need some restructuring of the data
 >set or the indexes for referencing the data.  I suspect what we have
 >here though is a cultural point that in the UK we use post codes a lot
 >and see the lack of  them as a genuine embuggerance.
 >
 >- Liam

(8):[(8)