[gps-talkusers] Re: GPS FRUSTRATIONS

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:37:35 -0800

Hello Paul,
What you have experienced is called GPS drift. What is happening is that the gps thinks you are moving around even though you are stationary. That is why we tell you your estimated accuracy +- x number of feet and there for that means you can be + 30 feet ahead or - 30 feet behind, actually anywhere within a 30 feet radius circle could be your "real" location. The Sendero GPS software trys to hide most of this by figuring out what is drift and what is real movement but when all of a sudden the GPS receiver jumps 20 feet ahead with a velocity of 5 or 6 miles per hour we have to belive the GPS receiver and then you get these false readings you are experiencing. You definitely get more of these when inside a building with the more sensitive GPS receivers out now-a-days but it still can happen under idea circumstances.

Charles.

At 04:17 PM 1/16/2008, you wrote:
I was sitting on my front porch this morning with my bn in my lap and connected to the gps with my new Hollux 1000. As I sat there, I was told that my home was actually a ways behind me, but more interestingly, the bn kept giving me information at random about how I was traveling and telling me about the closest street even though I wasn't moving.
I'd never seen it just put out random information before like that.
I had six satellites.

Paul Henrichsen
<mailto:paulh52@xxxxxxxxxxx>paulh52@xxxxxxxxxxx

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2799 (20080116) __________