[gps-talkusers] Re: Digital compass question?

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:54:22 -0700

Hello Scott,

Sendero has worked with an experimental GPS receiver that contained an electronic compass built into it and so far was not impressed with its accuracy. Now granted we were working with this device indoors for indoor navigation but the compass would get thrown out of whack when you passed a large metal object like an elevator etc. but the same can be said if you walk beside a large steal building, bus, truck etc. when outside.

Also depending on the type of compass orientation is critical to its success. For our users we would need a compass that can accurately tell direction in any orientation of the device which drives up the cost of these kind of electronic compasses. Then there is the issue of initializing the compass by turning it around in circles so it can figure out which way north is.

So Sendero's position on this is once the technology is stable, accurate and affordable we will look into combining this into our product. Ideally the GPS manufacturers will start adding this kind of technology automatically and then you can just set the Sendero GPS software to use instantaneous GPS Headings and the system will just work as is with the current GPS 4.22 software.

Thanks
Charles.

At 06:38 AM 7/11/2008, you wrote:
Good morning,

I have a general question. One of the challenges when working with GPS travel is headings. Headings have to be calculated over time and by motion etc. What's Sendero's position on digital compasses? There are some receivers that also have a compass built in. I was thinking that a compass would provide real time heading information that wouldn't get degraded by multipath / being stationary. A BN / Sendero user and I were discussing digital compasses and we were wondering if you had considered this yet. Thank you and take care.

Scott

Charles M. La Pierre
CTO Sendero Group
"The GPS company." Distributors of the mPower, PK, Victor Stream, Voice Sense, KNFB Mobile Reader, Talks, Miniguide and ID Mate
1-888-757-6810

Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W