[gpodder] Re: gPodder 3.1 development status update

  • From: Thomas Perl <m@xxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 07:28:57 +0100

Hi Joseph,

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 10:08:34AM -0800, Joseph Wickremasinghe wrote:
> I've actually been working on device sync for gPodder, but I'm a only
> a Python novice so it's been more of a learning project for me. I
> actually started by copying the sync.py code from 2.20 into the 3.01
> codebase, and figuring out how to get it working, which involved
> adding back in various settings, some object model tweaks, and making
> a couple of changes to the SQLlite db.

Which changes did you make exactly? Do you have a patch on top of our
"master" branch that I could have a look at?

> I've only been working on filesystem-based syncing, under GTK though,
> but from what I can tell, my changes wouldn't break other UIs, these
> other interfaces just wouldn't show any of the sync menus / commands
> in the interface.

That should be okay - ideally we would also have sync for the CLI
(doesn't make so much sense for the QML UI while it's mainly targetted
at the Nokia N9) but that can wait a bit more.

> Anyway, I've got it 95% working at present. My last issue is trying to
> get the episode published date to show up correctly in the custom sync
> rename.

Sounds promising. Have you uploaded your code somewhere?

> But, I still have a number of questions The first of course is even
> whether the approach to syncing used for 2.20 is even something you
> wanted to carry over into 3.x. Additionally, would it be ok for me to
> add in filesytem-based syncing into GTK only, since that's the
> platform I'm using?

> How do you handle changes to the SQLlite db structure (additional
> columns to the tables)? Is that even something you'd want to do?

That's taken care of by src/gpodder/schema.py - basically you would need
to introduce a new version, update the initial schema SQL and then
modify the "upgrade" function to upgrade the schema from the old version.

But let's have a look at your code - maybe the database changes aren't
needed at all? Also, in case we turn the sync into an extension (we
should), it could store its own data in a separate file/database below
$GPODDER_HOME (so it's even more flexible).

> Let me know your thoughts. I'm happy to rework the sync using JSON if
> that's your preferred approach - I imagine a lot of the settings & UI
> updates that I've made will be unaffected anyway.

I'd like to see the code and then we can start integrating from there :)