[gpodder] gPodder 3.1 development status update

  • From: Thomas Perl <m@xxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:52:37 +0100

Hi,

Here's a quick overview post of the status of the upcoming "3.1" release
of gPodder. First, here are the more prominent bugs that I intend to fix
before the 3.1.0 release:

 * http://gpodder.org/bug/1288
   Unify cover art downloading and file name extensions (.jpg, .png)

Bernd will hopefully find time to work on this item (or test the
built-in configuration editor for existing hook scripts):

 * http://gpodder.org/bug/1491
   Add GUI configuration for the hook scripts (at least partially)

For these two items, I'm waiting for a patch from someone else:

 * http://gpodder.org/bug/1460
   Add support for saving GUI logging output to file (waiting for patch)

 * http://gpodder.org/bug/1482
   Updated "native menus" patch for Mac OS X integration (waiting for
   patch)

The following things should be fixed for the Windows version:

 * http://gpodder.org/bug/1269
   Better options for choosing download directory (Windows version)

 * http://gpodder.org/bug/1480
   Launcher doesn't find "just for this user" Python (Windows version)

For all other items that are marked with the 3.1 milestone, they might
slip to 3.2 or a 3.1.x release (but not 3.1.0). Please have a look at
the list of bugs and add a comment if you feel like there's something
missing or have some feedback about the design expressed in the comments.

Some changes that are already in the Git repository and ready for you to
try out:

 * JSON-based configuration ($GPODDER_HOME/Settings.json)
 * Extensions (replaces the old "hooks" mechanism), including an
   Extension manager in the Gtk Preferences dialog
 * Massive improvements to the feature set of the CLI tool (gpo)
 * Restructuring of the source tree / data layout + rewritten setup.py
 * Install-time options to only install a subset of UIs (see README)
 * Various improvements to the Harmattan QML UI (Nokia N9)

No word on device sync support yet - the enablers for this (JSON config
and Extensions) are already in place (the extensions might need some
more love, though). Nobody has volunteered to write that code, so maybe
I'll find some time to write a very basic sync extension for
filesystem-based MP3 players - no promises, though. If you want to help,
"/join #gpodder" on irc.freenode.net and say hi.

I've also update the translation files from the current source code
status, and pushed them to Transifex, so you should be able to use
Transifex to update your translations - or just send me the updated .po
file, and I'll manually merge it.