[gpodder] Re: Getting started on adding back sync support for iPod

  • From: Joseph Wickremasinghe <jnwickremasinghe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:04:29 -0700 (PDT)

Thomas,

I just submitted a pull-request for ipod sync functionality in gpodder 3. Sorry
it took me such a long time. I spent way too long trying to get gtkpod / iPod
support set up in Ubuntu 12.04 / Mint 13 before realizing it doesn't seem to be
fully supported.

I also sunk a lot of time into getting my new phone set up. (I upgraded to a
Samsung Galaxy S4 and tried to get MTP support working - no luck there. I'm
currently having to sync gpodder over sshfs to my phone - which is no way to
live :). I'm going to switch back to a HTC phone soon.)

Anyway, as I mentioned in the pull request the sync process works well, but the
UI can lock up during the actual syncing. However, I may be able to manually
copy the files over & update the ipod directory myself, but let's save that for
a future enhancement.

For now, those wishing to sync should mount with ifuse and then use the ifuse
mount point as the location of their device in gPodder. Two way synching and
playlist creation are not currently supported.

I've beeing developing this under Ubuntu 10.04 with an iPod Touch. Users will
need to be able to successfully manage their device with gtkpod before gPodder
will work.

Comments & suggestions are always welcome :)

Joseph