[gpodder] Re: Getting started on adding back sync support for iPod

  • From: Joseph Wickremasinghe <jnwickremasinghe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 11:08:38 -0700 (PDT)

Thomas,
I've been working on iPod / iPhone suport for gPodder, and been able to sync
from gPodder 3 to a first-generation iPod Touch using the ifuse library. :)

I mount the device as a filesystem using ifuse and then gPodder writes the
files to the device and then updates the internal db. It's a little slow, but
it seems to work well. I don't expect to implement playlists nor two-way
syncing. In fact I think the expectation is that you should exclusively use
your computer to manage your library and therefore cannot delete from the
device.
I would say that the code is ready to test but my concern is that I've only got
one device to test it on. What works for a first-generation iPod Touch may not
work on other devices. I'd like to have others test this and give me feedback,
preferably before we merge with the master branch. However, I suppose we could
always merge as an 'alpha' feature and let people try it at their own risk.
Let me know what you think the best approach would be.
Additionally, I've written a blog entry on iPod support but haven't published
it yet, in case you wanted to look over it beforehand (it's saved as a draft in
blog.gpodder.org). Let me know and I'll publish it, or feel free to hit
'Publish' yourself :)
Joseph