[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:50:58 +0100

On Monday 10 November 2003 14.36, Frederic Vanmol wrote:
> > If you query a VST-in-GMPI wrapper, it'll return info on all
> > installed VST plugins. If there's a DX-in-VST wrapper in there,
> > it's the DX-in-VST wrapper's job to present all DX plugins to the
> > VST host - which in this case happens to be our VST-in-GMPI
> > wrapper. So, the GMPI host will get a list including all GMPI
> > plugins, all wrapped VST plugins and all double-wrapped DX
> > plugins.
>
> Come on people, this is one of the easiest problems for GMPI.
> Either you make wrapper plugins a special case, with a special way
> to list all the plugins that it provides, or you just make it
> possible for all dlls/libraries to provide an arbitrary number of
> plugins. Either way works, it's simply a matter of making a
> decision. I prefer the second way (i.e. don't assume things about a
> class of plugins when it's not necessary).

I strongly prefer the "multiple plugins per binary" version too, and
that's what I'm describing above.

Anyway, the intended point with that post was basically "What's the
problem here, really?" It's doable, and it's no big deal, and we
should discuss the details later, after the requirements gathering
phase.