[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:43:45 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 10:29 AM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:08:24AM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > > Disagree totally.  I know you are very windows centric and I am very
> > > non-windows centric.  Reasons below..
> >
> > This concept can be implemented everywhere , The registry can be a
special
> > file somewhere, or a database. CLSID is good because this defines a uniq
> > Ident for a plug-in ... don't understand how you can Disagree
Totally....

> OK, so when you install a plugin, you need to probe it and install
> meta-data.  Why not just do that in your host, and leave it at that?  Save
> it once, and that's all you need.

Because this informations are concerning the plug-in and are provided by the
plug-in. This has not to be managed by host. but used by the differents Host
(there can be many hosts on the same platform, and if every host do their
own database , this make useless redundancy and this means that user won't
have the same service or information concerning plug-in from a host to an
other one).

> > > Why keep this info OUTSIDE the plugin?  It's part of the plugin.  The
only
> > > thing is does is add an chance to get out of sync..
> >
> > Because , the host MUST be able to get a plug-in list with further
> > information without loading DLL and without instantiate plug-in object.
> > (question of speed, reliability, and avoiding buggs)

The DLL can be encrypted by an hardkey and may need nearly one second to be
loaded. The DLL can be protected by different method (CD-checkup, network
validation etc) that slowdown the loading process. Plug-in DLL with graphics
and so on can have a size of several MByte . Multiply by 100 or 200, you can
eat all your memory for nothing.

>  YOu need to be able to probe without
> instantiation.  Speed: It's O(1) - you do it when you add a new plugin,
> only.  Reliability - huh?  Bugs - If there are bugs, it will show up
sooner
> or later.  I prefer sooner, honestly.

If you don't use the plug-in it will be never ! :-) Also some bugs are very
difficult to be detected or to be considered as bug. those which are due to
the multiplication of small bugs/error/mystake on each plug-in. (think that
Windows for example has some limitation - like the 4000 GDI object per
process for example - that can cause display trouble (or worst) because too
much plug-in are loaded).

Vincent Burel