[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 10:08:24 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 10:48 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

> On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 12:52:31PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > somethink like the Windows Registry should list all the Plug-in
registered
> > (With CLSID concept and with the complete pathname of the related DLL).
>
> Disagree totally.  I know you are very windows centric and I am very
> non-windows centric.  Reasons below..

This concept can be implemented everywhere , The registry can be a special
file somewhere, or a database. CLSID is good because this defines a uniq
Ident for a plug-in ... don't understand how you can Disagree Totally....

> > And also with further extra information for display purpose (for the
user)
> > or also for the host plug-in management :
> >
> > Misc Info
> > -----------
> > szName,
> > szComapny
> > szCopyright
> > szVersion
>
> Why keep this info OUTSIDE the plugin?  It's part of the plugin.  The only
> thing is does is add an chance to get out of sync..

Because , the host MUST be able to get a plug-in list with further
information without loading DLL and without instantiate plug-in object.
(question of speed, reliability, and avoiding buggs)

Vincent Burel