[gmpi] Re: Reqs draft

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:44:34 -0800

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 05:37:01PM -0700, eric wrote:
> >OK, first off - I am just the guy compiling requirements and trying to make
> >heads or tails of them.  Convince a bunch of people here that it is a must
> >have and I'll happily bend.
> >
> This is a list for developers, not end users.  I'm just trying to give a

Most of us are also users.  I know lots of users.  Pros and amateurs alike.
Never heard this.

> community has had ample time to comment on this topic?  Do you really
> think we have time to put off the standards while I go passing around a
> petition?

We won't put it off, but we can amend it.  Get me a dozen or two REAL users
who think this is a must-have feature.

> Fact:  many studios own hundreds or (in some cases) thousands of plugins.
> fact:  many studios own at least two or three different hosts that they
> use regularly
> fact:  there are sometimes compatibility issues between hosts and plugins

GMPI won't have incompatibilities.  That is goal #1.

> >that crashes when loading a plugin.  We've already more or less agreed that
> >there is some metadata such that a host won't have to load plugins at
> >startup.  So that is a non-issue.  Once the host is up, DON'T LOAD THE
> >PLUGIN THAT CRASHES.
> >

> You make it sound like it's easy NOT TO LOAD THE PLUGIN THAT CRASHES.

It *IS* easy.  The only time the host loads a plugin is when you ask it to.
Don't ask it to.  Full stop.  Probing does not involve loading the plugin.
USING the plugin will cause the host to crash.  Don't use that plugin.

> prevent loading specific plugins, in order to use hostx, you have to
> remove pluginx from the plugin path, and then replace it to use it in

No, you just don't use that plugin.  What is not clear?  Really, I'm curious
how you magically load all these plugins in every host.

> 2,000 plugins.  Many host developers never even imagined that many
> plugins being installed, and quite a few would give up and crash if he
> attempted to simply let them all load every session.  He uses a

Bugs.  See above.  Don't autoload all the plugins.  That's inane.  GMPI was
not started to provide workarounds for broken hosts.  It was designed to
provide a simple and consistent way fo getting it right.

> >Can you name me one other thing that this requirement does, besides force
> >all hosts to find this global config file and load it?
> >
> Can you name one good reason NOT to consider it a requirement, other
> than some implementation you have in your head seems like a bad idea to
> you right now?

Yes.  It is counter intuitive for any host specific configuration to be
outside the host's control.  You don't have an app to configure your
web-browsers outside the browser.

>  Who says the config file has to be global?  It could be a
> host-specific file.. my only global-sounding suggestion was to keep the
> files in a well-known location.

Great.  Write it for your host.  Publish it.  Heck, we can even consider
putting the GMPI-Recommended seal of approval on your spec.  It's not a
requirement for the GMPI core, though.  You have to admit this.

--
Notice that as computers are becoming easier and easier to use,
suddenly there's a big market for "Dummies" books.  Cause and effect,