[gmpi] Re: Parameters / controls / GMPI event system - refreshment

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:47:49 +0100

On Saturday 26 November 2005 02.00, thockin@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > So I think we should simplify this and just say that they are
> > > the same. We've already established the idea of hidden/visible
> > > flags and stateful/non-stateful flags on parameters.
> >
> > Real-time safe/not real-time safe? No warranty in either
> > direction, but can serve as a helpful hint, and since controls are
> > basically all the same, users can still try running "unsafe"
> > controls in real time if they have the guts and spare CPU cycles.
>
> All of the hints in the world don;t really justify inventing two
> nouns when one would do.  These things are still fundamentally
> control ports.

That was exactly my (rather unclear) point, actually.

Though there are some low level details that seem to suggest that
(init, offline, ...) parameters and (real time, automation, ...)
controls should use separate interfaces, I think going that way is a
mistake.

If things *really* have to be done in different contexts (for example,
your host may not allow disk file access from whithin the audio
thread, or you have some serious work to do asynchronously), it's
better to have the "offending" plugins deal with it, than to break
the API, impacting every single plugin and host - and end user.