[gmpi] Re: Parameters / controls / GMPI event system - refreshment

  • From: thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:25:27 -0800

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 03:11:42PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> Of course, but I'm saying: What if the virtual voice ID you're using
> was previously used (imagine a black-page composition and a voice ID
> integer that rolls over)?  Then it would have left-over state, none
> of the parameters would be be 'fresh', and then you'd -have- to send
> all the parameters every time you want to start any new note.  I
> mean, yuck.

We're talking a 32 bit VVID space PER-CHANNEL.  Black page is an
understatement.  If 32 bits REALLY isn't enough, VVIDs *could* be 64 bit.
This is just an issue of efficiency and realistic requirements.

If you really want to handle the rollover, then you need to stop the voice
you are going to re-use and start it anew.  Yuck indeed, but let's be
realistic.

> >Hi Chris,
> >
> >> Good answer.  But how does the plug know you want that voice to be
> >> reinitialized, as opposed to setting parameters of an already-running
> >> note event.
> >
> >What does it mean to re-initialise a voice?.
> >
> >It means "reset all the voice's parameters to the default value".
> >
> >You don't need a special event to do that.  Just send a bunch a
> >set-parameter events (including a fresh note-start event).
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >Jeff

Tim Hockin
thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
Soon anyone who's not on the World Wide Web will qualify for a government
subsidy for the home-pageless.