[gmpi] Re: Parameters / controls / GMPI event system - refreshment

  • From: thockin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:38:57 -0800

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 03:17:40PM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > In fact, the deallocate is not really NEEDED
>
> I agree.  Deallocation is redundant.
>
> And why "Allocation"?
>
> Send "note on VVID=34".
>
> VVID 34 is now in use. simple.  "Allocation" is redundant.
>
> Eliminate "Allocation", eliminate "deallocation".  You might have something.

You need some edge if you ever want to re-use a VVID.

> For a keyboard-type instrument one fixed VVID per key is all you need.

OK  Riddle me this

* I press key #60 on my keyboard:

t0: VVID(60).cutoff = 0.7
t0: VVID(60).velocity = 64
t0: VVID(60).pitch = 60.0
t0: activate VVID(60)
        -- VVID(60) is playing
t1: deactivate VVID(60)
        -- VVID(60) goes into release stage (I have a long envelope release)

* I press key #60 on my keyboard again:

t0: VVID(60).cutoff = 0.1
        -- What happens?

Did I just ask for the cutoff to change on the tail of the first note, or
did I ask it to start thinking about a new note?  You've got an ambiguity
in the dialect.  Forcing an allocate edge clarifies the exact intentions.

Tim