[geocentrism] Re: Photographic images

  • From: "Robert Bennett" <robert.bennett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:42:31 -0500

Dr. Jones,

1. Why doesn't the "graven" modifier of image apply as well to "likeness"
and the following?

2. Does the KGB offer any help on this passage?

3.  Douay_Rheims translates "graven image" as "graven thing", so the
commandment isn't about pictures specifically.

4.  DR also thoughtfully provides a clarifying comment for Exo 20:4, with
lots of supporting verses.
"A graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing"... All such images, or
likenesses, are forbidden by this commandment, as are made to be adored and
served; according to that which immediately follows, thou shalt not adore
them, nor serve them. That is, all such as are designed for idols or
image-gods, or are worshipped with divine honour. But otherwise images,
pictures, or representations, even in the house of God, and in the very
sanctuary so far from being forbidden, are expressly authorized by the word
of God. See Ex. 25. 15, and etc.; chap. 38. 7; Num. 21. 8, 9; 1 Chron. or
Paralip. 28. 18, 19; 2 Chron. or Paralip. 3. 10.

See what good things you miss out on!  It's like they knew you might be
confused, as the iconoclasts were ....

Oh, I've no time
to rhyme.

Pax Christi,