[geocentrism] Re: Moon's orbit for Regner

  • From: Regner Trampedach <art@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:55:34 +1100

Quoting Steven Jones <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Regner Trampedach wrote:
> >
> >   To calculate the Moon's orbit (or any Solar system body's) accurately,
> > you have to perform the many-body calculation of most of the Solar system.
> > That is straight forward, but costs a bit in computing time. That's how
> > it is done.
> >   The three-body problem cannot be solved analytically, but it is, again,
> > straight forward to do numerically. You program all the forces, e.g.,
> > gravity, tidal forces and tidal friction, in the Solar system case, and
> > supply the starting positions and velocities, and then you advance time
> > and see how it evolves. The accuracy would be determined from running the
> > simulation backwards in time and compare with observations. All the cycles
> > of the Moon's orbit will be accounted for by this procedure, if all the
> > relevant physics is included in the model.
> >   A physical model is not restricted to an analytical formulation of the
> > problem - that is most often not possible.
> >   I do not know the innards of Starry Night, but my bet would be that it is
> > based on a parametrized version of the above. So indeed a table, but based
> > on many-body simulations covering both the past and the future. That is my
> > bet - not a statement of absolute truth.
> >

> How much do you want to bet on that?  :-)  Why would you
> need to do exhaustive calculations which you claim possible if you had
> a table?
>
> Steven.

Tables based on observations (necessarily from the past) will have limited
predictive (of the future) power. If you want to predict what happens in a
thousands of years, or you need your results with very high precision, a
couple of years into the future, you would need the simulation.
- or tables "handed down to us by divine powers".

   Regards,

     Regner