[geocentrism] Re: Last call

  • From: Mike <mboyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:24:25 +0100

>>>However, the "twins paradox" is a contradiction within Special
>>>Relativity. Special Relativity does not deal with acceleration, which
>>>is handled by General Relativity. SR and GR are incompatible.
>>
>>A minor point. SR can and does deal with acceleration by using calculus to
>>create a sequence of infinitesimal inertial frames that allow the direct
>>calculation of the twin's acceleration. If accelerations were out of the SR
>>scope, how would Newton's 2nd law be tested in SR?
>
> Indeed.  Quite a major point really, because the SR derived equations
> then become identical to a GR pseudo gravity well.  I think this may
> have led Einstein to the equivalence principle.

We should have added, though, that this relies on the "clock postulate"
as well as the two well known postulates of relativity, ie time in a
accelerating frame is the same at any instant as it would be for an
inertial frame of the same velocity at that instant.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/clock.html

Regards,
Mike.