[geocentrism] Geostationary satellite myth

  • From: "Dr. Neville Jones" <ntj005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:04:37 +0100 (BST)

Dear All,

Just before I work on the eclipse paper, I remembered that someone on this
forum claimed that a geostationary satellite could (or possibly could) be seen
with a powerful telescope. (Apologies for not looking back and addressing who
actually hinted at this.)

"Geosynchronous transfer orbit (GTO) [occurs at] exactly 35,786 km above the
equator"
(http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/glossary/geosynchronous_transfer_orbit.htm).
At such a distance, a sizeable 2 m satellite would subtend only

2 m / 35,786,000 m = 5.6 x 10-8 rads,

whereas the theoretical angular resolution of the Keck 10 m telescope in the
visible is

1.22 x 5.6 x 10-6 / 10 = 6.8 x 10-7 rads.

I.e., even in the absence of the atmosphere, the World?s largest ground-based
astronomical telescope could not detect a supposed geostationary satellite.

We cannot, therefore, simply see these things.