[GeoStL] Re: OYR (Cracker Barrel Caches) in Jeopardy

  • From: Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:28:22 -0500

Tom wrote:
Glenn,
snip.
In response to your other comments: If caches at Cracker Barrels are considered "commercial caches" and should never have been allowed, then any cache which is placed in a Wal-Mart parking lot or on the side of a Mom-n-Pop store, and a few other similar places, should not be allowed either.

yep, you are correct.

This means that the only possible place to put caches is in the parks and along the byways, in guardrails.

Even guardrails should not be there and are against the law in many places but, so it goes ....

I have to disagree with you on this point, Glenn. My opinion is that if you have the permission to place the cache, and you accomplish it without disturbing the environment, then it should be allowed.

Most of the time that is correct.

The game (geocaching) is played, and viewed, differently by everyone. Different parts of the country (and world) have varying opinions on where caches are permitted, and whether permissions are even needed.

we do.

If Cracker Barrel, or anyone else, makes a few bucks by allowing cache placement on their premises, then it is fine with me, and obviously, to a lot of other cachers.

But it is not OK by the folks that run the cache listing site. Geocaching pages should be about the game, not about free advertising.
Tom