[GeoStL] Re: OYR (Cracker Barrel Caches) in Jeopardy

  • From: Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:34:00 -0500

-
Our corporate contact is still working on things.

I cant imagine that they would allow them either but until they say to "remove all current caches", i wont remove them. I guess it is all in the loopholes. Saying that "we no longer have permission to hide caches" is not the same as saying "all current caches must be removed".

I am sure they will catch on after a while. :-) By then I am hoping the issues are resolved.

Personally, I never liked the caches. Permission or not they are in violation of the "no commercial caches" part of the guidelines but most reviewers looked the other way for some reason. Before permission was granted cachers were trespassing on private property which is also really not supposed to be allowed. Again, a lot of folks looked the other way. Most of these caches can be found without the need of a GPS. Just look at the map, then look under the washing machine or other similar object on the porch. Since this is a GPS based game, most of these caches are rather pointless and were allowed to placed to bring some business to the CB. There ARE a few good ones around where you better have a GPS but that is not the norm.

You will notice that there are only a couple of these cache in Mo. That is not an accident.

Andrew Senger wrote:
snips...
Glenn, I know the decision hasn't been made on archiving, but I don't see why they'll allow them to stay. If the lawyers have problems with new ones, I can't see how they'll allow old ones to stay.

Andrew (yawetag)