[GeoStL] Re: New Garmin Units

  • From: "BottomFeeder" <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:08:31 -0500

From: geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geocaching-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Binder
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 06:20
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: New Garmin Units

> I'm thinking about a C/F GPS card for my Dell Axim. Usually software comes
with the unit...correct?

I would presume most, if not all, units would come with at least some sort
of 'test' s/w. Something that would allow one to test device functionality,
check the # of satellites currently in view, and some sort of minimal
'compass' functions....which may well be all you need/want for geocaching.

But if you're thinking they will come with a street navigation package w/
routing capabilities/voice guidance, or topo s/w, then the answer is
different. There are a couple companies (Pharoas being one) who supply the
GPSR and their own propietary s/w. But it seems the general consensus of
opinion is that you're better off purchasing the GPSR you want, and
purchasing the mapping s/w separately.......or in a packaged 'bundle'.

One online vendor worth checking out the various options (and there are a
bunch) is http://www.semsons.com. I've not purchased anything from them, but
their rep seems pretty good.

     -= Russ =-  (BottomFeeder)

Subject field