[GeoStL] Re: New Garmin Units

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 06:12:19 -0500

-   Sara, the 60 will zoom to 20feet.  Bernie

Sara Carter wrote:
I'm leaning more towards the 60CS.   I keep saying I'm going to save the $$ up to buy it and my husband keeps telling me to buy it on the joit credit card and pay it back so I can start enjoying it sooner.  I'm not in any big hurry to have PDA abilities.

Out of curiosity how far in does the 60CS zoom (I didn't see it mentioned on the Garmin webpage)?  I know someone said being designed more for street routing that the IQue only goes to 120 feet.  My Vista zooms in to a 20 foot scale which seems much nicer than my husbands etrex that had no maps and only zooms to 200 scale.

BottomFeeder <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-
The iQUE may well be a fine device, but I'm generally inclined to look
askance at first generation 'gadgets'.....especially with these
'convergence' gadgets (Camera/phone combos, pda/phone combos,
mp3/camera/phone combos, etc.....). I'm just inclined to think the general
public is doing a lot of the R&D for some of these things, and paying for
the 'privilege' of being a beta tester. And it all too frequently seems to
be the 2nd or 3rd generation of such devices before they're 'da
bomb'...assuming the 1st gen sells well enough to have a 2nd or 3rd gen.

There's at least one PocketPC based equivalent of the iQUE on the market now
as well, and I'd be equally skeptical of that....probably more so because
the gps portion isn't from a 'name' company like Garmin.

Now, if you wanted (or had a need for) a pda anyway, then picking up a GPS
module to plug into the pda might be worth investigating. I'm not sure what
all is available on the Palm platform these days in that sense, but there is
quite a number of options on the PPC platform.

-= Russ =- (BottomFeeder)