[GeoStL] Re: GSAK rumor

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:35:17 -0600

-
Yep, there is a lot of GSAK talk going on. Even on the gsak forums,
clyde is getting an earful.
http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3835&view=findpost&p=23626

"But I just can't believe my eyes, reading this thread... Here's my two
cents.

I registered GSAK version 6.6 on 2006-06-21 after using it for about
five minutes and remember being promised free updates for the forseeable
future. The exact wording does not matter one bit but the idea and
promise behind it sure does. Keeping that in mind, I might have silently
accepted a priced upgrade if, say, a full year had gone by since my
registration, but that's the absolute minimum time frame I'd have the
guts to call "foreseeable future". As I understand it, for some the
"free foreseeable future" turned out to be just about a month.
That's not all, I'd call 7.0.1B11 6.7.0... The new features introduced
in v7 just don't amount to that much compared to what happened during
6.6. If everyone seems so disturbingly happy to shell out extra bucks,
what's to stop 7.1.0 being called 8.0.0?

To summarize, I think GSAK is definitely worth its price and I may
register v7 once I chill out a bit, but the upgrade pricing timeline
compared to what was quite clearly promised just makes my skin crawl.
I'd definitely rethink the current wording on
http://gsak.net/Register.php, maybe even the whole pricing scheme."