[GeoStL] Re: GSAK rumor

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jack.konecker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:52:38 -0600

-
> uuummm... Is this the GSAK forum? I think I made a wrong turn..
> Mike

Many other geocaching groups are discussing
this very timely issue.
I will say that it is not unreasonable to think
that when offered what appears to be a
'one-time fee' of $20 for a fledgling application
to get a foothold in the market, that you are in
a way an 'investor' in the product and will be
rewarded by not having to ever pay another
fee in the future.  You are taking a risk on that
the product may fail and become useless.

This is not unlike some startup organizations
that reward people who take a
chance by buying a 'lifetime membership' and
never get charged again, regardless of what
changes occur later that were not expected
could ever happen in the beginning.  Right or
wrong, I see this is what the perception was
from many who paid for GSAK early on.

Is this the end of the world?  No.  Just something
related to geocaching that is worthy of
discussing on a geocaching newsgroup.

Again, I make no comment about how good
GSAK is or isn't because that's beside the
point.