[GeoStL] Re: Curious and I am sure controversial

  • From: Jim <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:28:05 -0600

-
Mike Griffin wrote:
> -
> Whats really sad is that only 1 person in the top 50 is coming to MOGA.. You
> would think that they would want to show everyone how they cache...

  Mike, I appreciate all the effort you guys put into MOGA and sometimes
feel guilty that I don't really care for "hard core, head-to-head, timed
geocaching." But I just cannot get excited about it. To me, the 1 in 50
indicates to me that 49 out of fifty agree with me - at least to some
degree. I've just never seen this game/sport as one with a lot of appeal
in real time competition.

  Hunting comes to mind.. I may brag that I've bagged a bigger buck than
you (and have the horns to prove it), but we wouldn't try to organize a
weekend buck hunt for all our fellow hunters to see who can get the
biggest one. Actually, I don't hunt but recall my dad bragging about the
number of quail he harvested.. no way the ole man would go on an
organized quail hunt (except to handle his dog for others).

> And as for Dan's comments.... I haven't looked at the member stats page in a
> long time.. I just use the front page where Rich does a great job with the
> milestones..
> And.. Since Rich is still keeping up with the milestones for ALL members,
> why the complaint?

  I (anyone) can find stats for anyone. That is not the issue with me, I
want to see how many caches I need to find to stay ahead of (pick one),
with out even knowing who that might be. Without doubt, the member's
stat page was the way to do this and I miss it. I find it odd that you
seem to like the competition but not the stats page.

  Geo Jim