[GeoStL] Re: Curious and I am sure controversial

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:27:13 -0600

-
 Not to get too controversial myself, it is technically illegal to mine the
GC.com database with a program to get the information. The use agreement
forbids access in any automated way. So aside from the fact that it is
difficult to hit a moving target, it is certainly something that is not
entirely welcomed at GC.com anyway.
That being said, gc.com violates its own rules with the Google Early plug
in.But since they make the rules, they can decide when to break them as
well.

Personally, I think their rules can be very narrow minded. For example, you
cannot get a list of archived caches from a query so you can have an
automated way of getting rid of old caches on GSAK. And they won't allow you
to write something that will take care of it automatically, which is how I
found out about the rule to begin with.

My $0.02 worth.

Dan Henke wrote: - Should I assume that since they have not come back that
the "Member Stats" feature of the SLAGA web page is dead and not coming
back?I used that feature a LOT not to compare myself to other cachers but to
see how people were doing and who was cahing etc ...it was nice to see how
many each of my friends had and how they did compare to mine...not in a
jealous or envious way but just out of curiousity. And the talk I have seen
about people not caring about stats is a bunch of bull...I would say that
most cachers DO care about stats otherwise why do they log their finds? Also
why do we congratulate someone on reaching X number of finds or throw a
partywhen Bruce hit 1000, 2000 and 5000. I know there are exceptions but in
general I would say they want and like them I care about mine and celebrate
at each 100 caches that I find...maybe to people who have found over 1000 or
2000 it may not mean much but my 600+ caches are well remembered and hard
fought and by golly I am PROUD of the fact I have stuck with it so long and
the number I have done reminds me of how hard and long a trip it has been. I
also understand that it is a LOT of work and hassle for Paul to maintain and
if he just does not want to maintain the feature then say so ...but
considering it was one of those features advertised with the paid membership
I would have thought that at least the first year it would be kept. I know
this will probably open another can of worms ....it seems I am good at that
but hey I would like to know as it seems to have just fallen by the wayside
Dan (Thunder) --------------------------------- Yahoo! Mail Use Photomail to
share photos without annoying attachments.

--- Links ---
   1 //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching
   2 http://tinyurl.com/87cqw