Message from Principal

  • From: reker_d@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ganews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:25:10 -0400

This message was generated by the GA News mailing list, for members of Guardian
Angels School and Parish.

Dear G.A. Parents:

It is around 4:45 on Friday afternoon and I just returned to my office from
monitoring the students' practice of our Spring musical "Annie."  It was
really great seeing how far the students have come and to see how much
talent they have.  Geanna Hansell is doing a great job with them, and I
know that the students will shine in "Annie."    They are having a great
time, too.  This is such a terrific experience for the students!

My first week back was relatively "normal," and I enjoyed the many birthday
cards and greetings the students gave me yesterday.   Their cards were fun
to read, and the younger students are always so sincere.  I asked some of
the students to tell me how old I was, and I got answers anywhere from 26
to 84.  Of course the student who said 26 gets straight A's on his next
report card.  Fun fact #1:  One of the younger girl students asked me in
the cafeteria yesterday if I "would like a birthday burp!"  Of course I
told her, "No, thank you."  You never know what will come out of the mouths
of babes.

Fun Fact #2:  Kindergarten teacher Carol Christen and I were watching the
students get on the buses the other day, and one of her students came up to
her really crying.  He had lost his backpack and asked Mrs. Christen if she
had seen it.  She told him, "Yes, it is on your back."  He looked on his
back, said, "Oh" and ran off happily toward the school bus.

Re:  Math Study -- The junior high math teachers, Miss Gallion and I have
had very nice visits to St. Xavier High School and McNicholas High School.
We learned a lot from both schools, and we received good input concerning
how our students do in high school and what they think the benefits of a
full year of algebra in grade school would be.  St. X told us that we send
them "well-rounded students."  "good workers" and "nice young men."  Both
schools said that our students would fit in the normal bell curve when it
comes to performance.  There are always those who do very well, those who
have a rougher time and those who perform as average students.  Both
schools  asked us to please stress the basics and give the students lots of
practice so that they have the information they need to succeed in high
school "at their finger tips."  Pat Gallion and I also met with Sr. Helen
Lucille Habig, who is the "math expert" at the downtown school office.  We
shared with her what we have learned so far, and she gave us her input.
One of her suggestions was that we study the brand new Academic Content
Standards for Math from the State of Ohio and compare those standards to
the Graded Course of Study of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.  At the April
22nd in-service day we will be doing a lot of that type of work.  What the
state will demand of schools in the future is to strive for continuous
improvement.  As I've said before, what we have at G.A. is good, but let's
all work together to make it even stronger.  By the way, we meet with the
representatives from St. Ursula Academy on Monday and Pat and I also meet
with the parents who are assisting us with our study next week.

Tomorrow is the OMEA Sole and Ensemble Competition for our students.  Mr.
Diehl, Miss Hansell and the students
have spent much time preparing for this competition.  I always look forward
to this day.  It is great watching our students share their talents with
others, and it is a great experience for them to perform in front of an
audience and a judge.  Good luck to our students!

Health news:  Computer coordinator Patti Sutter and secretary Tammie Mers
are doing well since their recent surgeries.  Both of them have a couple of
weeks of healing ahead of them, so please keep Patti and Tammie in your
thougths and prayers.

Note:  The father-in-law of seventh grade teacher Stuart Lambing died
suddenly this week.  Please keep the Lambing family in your prayers.  The
grandmother of fifth grade teacher Julie Biernat died over the Easter
break.  Please keep Julie and her family in your prayers, too.

_______________

Thoughts for the Week:

Faith goes up the stair                         I live in a very small house
that love has made                                      but my windows look out
and looks out the window                                on a very large world.
which hope has opened.                                                --
Confucius
   -- Charles H. Spurgeon

Outside the open window                         Look up with unquenchable faith
the morning air is all awash with angels.                       in something
ever more about to
be.
   -- Richard Wilbur
-- Zane Grey