[gameprogrammer] Re: (long) Learning from the past?

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 01:46:09 +0100

On Thursday 03 March 2005 00.22, Chris Schnurr wrote:
[...]
> Don Turnbull, reviewing role playing game (remember those? with real
> dice and paper?)  'Traveller', White Dwarf Issue 6, Apr/May 1978

Wow! Didn't even realize it wasn't about *computer* games until I read
that. :-D

> Does it still hold true?

Sure does. Could just as well have been about video games and written
somewhere around when the 8 bit machines started taking off... Many
saturation levels have been crossed since then, but I guess that's
about when the total number of games releaed every year became too
big for any sane person to keep up with.

A few years ago, I read "a few thousand games are released every year"
somewhere... Don't know if that was correct, or what the figure would
be now.

Anyway, who says everyone has to play every game released? That would
require a small number of companies world wide being the only ones
allowed to release games, or something... Useless situation from an
innovation and competition POV.