[gameprogrammer] (long) Learning from the past?

  • From: Chris Schnurr <Chris.Schnurr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:22:13 +0000

Hi all,

During a clear out recently, I came across this article, and thought I
would share it. Although not written for the games programming market
(there was none at the time, IIRC), I shall let its relevance speak for itself.

Resist the temptation of looking for the cited date until you have read the
quote...!

"Two or three years ago the games market hit its first saturation level.
The level at which of frequency of games production exceeds the digestive
capacity of the buyer. Since buying has not itself abated, there must be
many collections containing games which have been given no more than a
cursory examination (if the boxes have been opened at all); in-depth study
of a particular game is a thing of the past except for those self
disciplined enough to resist the temptation of the bewildering array of new
games in favour of advancing their knowledge and experience of a
well-played favourite. Some would argue that games manufacturers have an
obligation to limit their outputs and to ensure that each new product has
been subjected to careful evaluation, otherwise there is a good chance that
the market will be flooded with mediocrity and the chance of the isolated
classic gaining deserved recognition will be small -  not a good
combination of circumstances for manufacturers and buyers alike. To those
who argue in this way, games manufacturers should be dedicated, purposeful
people who perceive the needs of the hobby as transcending their own need
to survive, who resolutely ignore the bandwagon in the interests of the
art. Unfortunately, an unrealistic expectation."

Don Turnbull, reviewing role playing game (remember those? with real dice
and paper?)  'Traveller', White Dwarf Issue 6, Apr/May 1978

Does it still hold true?