[gameprogrammer] Re: creating and deleting a class in c++

  • From: "richard sabbarton" <richard.sabbarton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:56:07 +0000

The answer is control, performance and preference.  With C++ I use
OpenGL.  I can bypass the middleman and do exactly what I want with
full control over how it is acheived.  By doing this I can create
exactly what I want without any excess baggage.

Sure, it takes a lot more time and effort to create anything in C++
without using any 3rd party engines or libraries.  I do all of my
programming for fun.  I am not a pro!  So surely using someone elses
code kind of defeats the object.

There are some greate engines out there.  Ogre is fantastic.  And you
get the source code so that you can change anything you like/don't
like.

I am still learning here.  And, IMHO, bypassing 3rd party engines is a
great way of getting experience in what these engines are actually
doing.  I may not be able to write and engine like Ogre but not using
it has told me a lot about what is going on behind the scenes.

Regards

Richard