[gameprogrammer] Re: creating and deleting a class in c++

  • From: Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <halfdan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:47:40 +0100

ons, 19 12 2007 kl. 08:55 -0800, skrev Alan Wolfe:
> Hey Roger,
>
> What you're describing sounds like a singleton class and yes, that
> does indeed work, and is a valid programming technique (:
>
> Here's more information about how singletons work if you are interested:
> http://gethelp.devx.com/techtips/cpp_pro/10min/10min0200.asp
The c2 wiki is great for design patterns:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SingletonPattern

In the article you mention he says that operator new is thread-safe, i
have never heard about that - does anybody know on what platform that
is?

Certainly not linux and windows (gcc and msvc++) as far as i know.

His second version should be just as thread-safe on those platforms as
far as i know.

The way to implement it (if you don't care about the object always being
alive) could be to just declare the static variable outside the method -
and the object should be created before main is run - and therefore
almost completely thread-safe.

Just my 2 (euro) cents.

> On Dec 19, 2007 5:53 AM, Roger D. Vargas <luo_hei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In my project I have a class that handles text in 3d space. The class
> > have a problem: it cant be created with an empty string, so I initialize
> > it with the entity name. Im planning to rewrite the floating text
> > management, except the class itself that was taken form Ogre wiki to a
> > system that creates the text when required and destroys it when no
> > longer displayed.
> > What I want to know is if the following approach is valid:
> > in Entity class constructor I assign 0 to floatText
> > in displayText function, if floatText==0, then floatText= new floating text
> > when text has expired, delete floatText, asign 0 again to floatTExt
> >
> > --
> > http://dsgp.blogspot.com | Linux, programación, juegos
> > Have no place I can be since I found Serenity
> > But you can't take the sky from me

Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <halfdan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
halfdans.net