[gameprogrammer] Re: What do the new processors mean for game programming?

  • From: Robert Chafer <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:01:16 +0000

>  The whole point of what is happening to processor development right now
>  is that Moore's law is cranking right along doubling the number of
>  transistors you can put on a chip every couple of years. But, at the
>  same time, scaling effects have kicked in that make it very very hard to
>  make those transistors run faster. Used to be the reduction in
>  transistor size driven by Moore's law automagically gave you faster
>  transistors. For the last few years that has not been true. You get more
>  transistors that run at the same, or slightly slower, speeds. So, you
>  *MUST* make use of parallelism to get better performance.

Another real issue is that as soon as the signals get off chips the
slow to a crawl. Even a 800MHz FSB is only a quarter of the speed of
the CPU.  The approach has been to build bigger pipelines and bigger
caches on chip -- thereby reducing the number of off-chip fetches.
However with huge pipelines (the Prescot is 31 deep I think) any
slight stall is catastrophic.  The idea is to simplify the coe CPU a
bit and increase the number of them. It will reduce peak speed (at
least for serial code) but decrease the effect of stalls and slow
devices.
--

Rob Chafer
Silverfrost