[gameprogrammer] Tachometer / Analog Gauges

  • From: <toddjasp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:54:43 -0400

Hey guys,

     I'm actually not REALLY writing a game, but instead I'm developing a car
diagnostic monitoring system. I'm writing software that will allow you to
interface with the car's ECM, and read the information real-time. It actually
sounds a lot more fascinating than it is... there's nothig that hasn't already
been done a million times. However, one thing that I am doing that isn't done
that frequently is that I'll be incorporating a logging feature.

Basically, all that I'll be doing differently is that I'll take all the car's
sensor values (tach, voltage, O2 sensor, fuel mixture, etc...) and I'll simply
dump it into a comma delimited file every 1/4 second.

For those of you who are car guys, this will basically give you the ability to
have a road-capable Dyno... (helps you diagnose problems with your car and
determine whether or not the car is running lean or rich at specific RPMs).

Anyway, that said... I do intend to create the program's GUI so that it also
acts as a real-time monitoring system... so what I'd like to be able to do is
have a graphical (analog) tachometer.

I'm already on this list, so I figured I would ask here.... in case anyone is
developing a racing game, I figured maybe someone has done this before and
could give me some pointers. I'd prefer to not use a 3rd party component and
instead write it myself. It would have to be capable of updating every 1/4
second.

I can program in Delphi, VB, and some Visual C++, so if you have example code
in any of those languages, I'd like to see it!

Thanks!!!

Todd