[gameprogrammer] Re: Software Development Kits

  • From: "Nick Howes" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 18:34:32 +0100

On 02/09/06, Josh Stewart <aek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As I understand it XNA is a managed framework similar to DirectX.. Managed DirectX 2.0 has been cancelled and rolled into XNA. XNA is still quite low level, and nothing like click and create. Im not sure if XNA supports native code development.

XNA provides simplified access to DirectX services like graphics, sound and controllers, in a way that makes the code portable between Windows and Xbox360.

I've been trying XNA with the beta of the XNA Game Studio Express.
Creating a new game project using this creates a lot of the
boilerplate code for you, such that you can instantly press F5 and be
shown a DirectX window rendering nothing and running an empty game
loop. Then you just fill in the Update() and Render() methods with
whatever you want your game to do. In this respect it's somewhat
similar to something like DarkBASIC. You still do the programming
yourself of course, but it takes away some of the boring stuff.

It seems to emphasise the concept of reusable components, which either
you or a 3rd party can write. Then you can just drop them in and use
them. Components could feasibly be small things that provide some
small function, or a whole physics engine.

Having said all that, all I've managed so far is a 2D sprite that
follows the mouse around :) but it did only require about 5 lines of
my own code, including loading the texture in and stuff.

It's currently C# only, so if you want to use XNA you have to get to
grips with C# for the moment. And is still beta so I don't know what
they'll add in the future. Interesting though.

NickH