[gameprogrammer] Re: How to save games?

  • From: Scott Harper <orcein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:32:53 -0600

It was an interesting article, and certainly one worth looking at, but (and I'm going to say this generally first, and more specifically later) it seemed like what the author was REALLY saying was "Stop making fun/cool/amusing games, and start mimicking real life." Okay, the idea of a fighting game where the girls are "sexy" and "cooing" is a little ridiculous, but look at it from the other side: How many intelligent, female rights activists do you you know who would devote their time to fighting?!? It's a fighting game, and they're trying to make the characters as APPEALING as POSSIBLE. For what it's worth, in my time as a game salesman last winter, NOBODY bought games like Rumble Roses, unless they were 14-year-old boys.

His segment on storylines reads to me as follows: "Stories are old and stagnating. Get some new ones. Oh, and while you're at it, NEVER DO ANYTHING THAT'S BEEN DONE IN THE PAST NO MATTER HOW COOL IT IS!" Is he really suggesting no more zombie games?!? I LOVE zombie games! And the flood -- being all THREE of those things -- actually works out to be a pretty cool enemy in my opinion. (Mind, I'm never the first to support Halo, as the repetition in bland level design almost made me nauseous, but that's not what he's arguing here.) Basically, this segment seems to rule out all FPS games we've seen aside from... say... Postal. How are you going to make an FPS without SOMETHING to make the player special, without SOME kind of opposition to fight? What? No reason to investigate and LEARN something from the detailed story? No inner conflict to wrestle with? Okay, I'll just make a game where I run around and blow sh*t up 'cause it's there... >.< Also, we've SEEN a game where you play the "bad guy"... It was called Manhunt -- and it sucked. Nobody bought it.

I TOTALLY disagree with his epics idea, also. I LOVE epics. That's probably about 70% of the reason I'll play ANY game is because of the story. Without story for me, there's no point in the game. And I'm sorry, but nobody wants to play THEMSELVES. We do that ALL day long. How fun would it be to play a mail-man... Oh wait! Paperboy! Yeah, I spent about 5 minutes playing that when I was 12. Who wants to play the über new realistic FPS "Collate"?!?!? Or "Let's Take A Memo", or "Kid-Who-Sits-In-His-Parents'-Basement-Playing-Games" where you don't PLAY the games, rather you have some weird controll scheme that makes HIM play HIS games... >.<;;;; That'll be fun!

Spectacles... I'll agree that too many games spend too much time on graphics/effects and not enough on gameplay/story. So I guess this makes sense. However, even though a book cannot be judged by its cover, people will still half the time decide to read it based on the cover or not. Games like Doom 3 wanted to get ATTENTION, and you can't get someone's attention/make their jaw drop with excellent gameplay, because you cannot DEMO gameplay, nor story. I'm watching TV and see some guy pwning someone else online in a new way, so what? How am I to get excited about that...? So I agree that graphics are often grown to the detriment of other things, but you gotta get some kind of reasonable ration of quality graphics vs. good content vs. fun gameplay. (By the way, if you haven't tried the "Indigo Prophesy" demo, I HIGHLY recommend that, as I think it exemplifies a great compromise of all three thus far.)

Cinematics -- it's called immersion, buddy. In the movie "Braveheart", when Mel Gibson rides in front of the army hollering "They can take our live; but they can never take away our FREEDOM!!!", there's a good reason this line works well, and draws the viewer in. Now, imagine this line is instead in an RPG where you play one of the soldiers in that army, but it's on a 16-bit console (SNES/Genesis), so all you can do is show the troops, and then pop up Mel's face and display the above text. How much less effective will it be? Like I said before, a large portion of a good game is good story, and unless you DRAW the player in with good CINEMATIC TECHNIQUE, then it'll fall flat on its face.

I think the author has GENERALLY a good idea, but I believe he chose too much hyperbole in his arguments, making broad sweeping statements and requiring of the developers that they stay as FAR from things that are more common as possible. I think that MORE he should be arguing to game PRODUCERS and PUBLISHERS, pleading with them to hire legitimate GOOD authors -- people who KNOW what makes a good, original story -- or let the developers have freedom to do what they will with THEIR story. As far as his argument for perhaps making a game where the main character slowly finds out that they ARE the bad guy, look at one of the games he mentioned a couple times.. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER FF7 SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER. I seem to recall that's about how that one went.

Overall, I imagine that the industry is in not so much trouble as the author claims, especially with games like Beyond Good and Evil, Black and White 2, Indigo Prophecy, F.E.A.R., Psychonauts, and their ilk that have come and are forthcoming, I believe that his view must somehow be skewed by something. That or he simply doesn't get a good look at what's coming out. Sure, half or more of the games are crap, but there's that other part that he seems to be ignoring. It's like any other ratio -- a bell-curve. means that you're gonna get MOST of them in the range of 30-70% quality. It's natural, and it's been around for hundreds of years that things will follow that.

There's my $.02...  and maybe a little more in change. ~_^
Sorry for the lo~ng post.

--Scott

On 14 Sep, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Bob Pendleton wrote:

Not how to do a save game, but how to save the game industry from itself. This is a very interesting commentary on the current state of the game industry.

http://www.games.net/features/104208.shtml

Try to keep the flames down as low as possible and remember not to take
flames personally.

Bob Pendleton