[gameprogrammer] Re: How to save games?

  • From: Simon <simonmihevc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:02:29 +0200

Not how to do a save game, but how to save the game industry from
itself. This is a very interesting commentary on the current state of
the game industry.

http://www.games.net/features/104208.shtml

There's quite a few articles like this on the web. I have to say I agree with most of the points mentioned to a certain degree. I'm sure there are exceptions as well as exaggerations for every point mentioned in the article. In general the thing that I find lacking in most todays mainstream games is innovation. Theres a good chance of knowing all there is to know about the current mainstream game from it's description of features and a bit of it's storyline. I'm guessing that the most obvious reason for this is that innovative games are risky, since there are no proven result for their sales success. It seems that nobody wants to fund such projects today or else we'd already see a big change.
The way the industry is standing now, I think the cloning of old ideas will continue. Fresh ideas will probably only come from smaller game producers or game producers with money to spare, meaning they'll be rare. The best thing that could probably happen is if the game industry got into trouble as that would mean producers would have to break the mainstream, risk it and start creating some good games.

Cheers, Simon.